Turkey & Beans Texas Chili is the perfect mix of spices, veggies, beans and turkey. The result is a rich, meaty chili with a combination of flavors that will please the entire family.
Follow Me on Social Media
TURKEY & BEANS TEXAS CHILI
Turkey & Beans Texas Chili is less spicy and easier to prepare than Spicy Texas Brisket Chili, but just as tasty. Three pounds of ground turkey and three types of beans makes a hearty bowl of chili that will satisfy any appetite.
IS THIS CHILI EASY TO MAKE?
Yes, very easy. Dice a few veggies, add ground turkey, canned tomatoes, canned beans, and add some of Joe’s Chili Powder. That’s all it takes and you’re on your way to the tastiest turkey chili you’ve ever had on your table. You’ll find the hardest part is waiting for it to cool so you don’t burn your mouth.
IS THIS CHILI HEALTHY?
Yes, it has almost no fat in it and is full of fiber so it is perfect if you are trying to eat healthier or lose weight. Turkey & Beans Texas Chili reduces the amount of red meat in your diet without reducing flavor. When you see the list of ingredients, you won’t find anything listed in any of the many “foods to avoid” articles. You will find fresh ingredients that lead to a better diet and healthier lifestyle.
If you have some family members who eat red meat, and some who don’t, this is the “please everyone chili” you’ve been searching for. This is also a very light chili, which makes it great to enjoy any time of year.
To make this recipe even healthier, substitute dry beans for canned beans to reduce the sodium. Rather than using six cans of beans, you will need three pounds of dry beans that have been soaked overnight.
DOES CHILI NEED BEER?
The beer is optional, add 12 ounces of water as the simmering liquid if you don’t want to add beer. I like to experiment with different types of beer and see how it turns out in overall flavor of the chili at the end. I have found that Chocolate and Coffee stouts really add depth and sweetness that gives the chili a more unique flavor than light beers. The Dude, a Big Lebowski inspired White Russian Milk Stout by Ormond Brewing Company is my current favorite addition to my chili.
Turkey and Beans Texas Chili
Spicy Texas Brisket Chili
- 3 lbs Ground Turkey You can use Ground Turkey Breast, it just won't be as flavorful.
- 3 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Head garlic Peeled and Diced
- 2 Medium Onions Peeled and Diced. I prefer Vidalia.
- 3 Whole Yellow or Red Bell Peppers Diced. Seeds and inner rinds removed
- 2 Whole Jalapeno Peppers Diced. Seeds and inner rinds removed
- 2 Whole Bay Leaves
- 4-5 TBSP Joe’s Chili Powder
- 2 28 OZ Canned Tomatoes Crushed or Whole and crush with hands when you add to pot. Add a 3rd can if you want to reduce some of the spiciness.
- 12 OZ Beer I like to use Stouts that have Coffee or Chocolate tastes.
- 4-6 Cans Beans I usually use two cans each of Dark Red Kidney, Pinto Beans and Black Beans, but you can use any mix of beans you prefer.
- 1 Cup Water
Turkey and Beans Texas Chili
- First, add some fat and coat the bottom of a large, thick pot with extra virgin olive oil.
- Second, add some flavor with: 1 TBSP Joe’s Chili Power, bay leaves, peppers, onions and garlic to your pot. Once garlic begins to bubble, begin to stir.
- Next, add the Ground Turkey after sautéing peppers, onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Continue Cooking, sautéing for another 5-7 minutes stirring regularly. Make sure turkey is browned.
- After your meat is cooked, add Tomatoes. I also add about one cup of water now by rinsing the cans and getting all of the tomato bits into the Chili.
- Once you have added tomatoes and water, add 2 TBSP Joe’s Chili Powder and one bottle/can of Beer.
- Stir in the beer and Chili Power, then cover and bring to simmer over Medium Heat.
- Once the Chili is simmering, stir making sure to scrape the bottom. Return to simmer and reduce heat. Reduce heat to Medium Low or Simmer Setting.
- Cook for one hour with no lid, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- After one hour, add drained and rinsed beans.
- Continue to simmer for 1 more hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- After 2 hours of simmering, you are ready to taste. You will need to add Salt to each individual bowl. You can continue simmering for another hour to further break down the meat, or eat now!
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings like Cheese, Green Onions, Chives, Sour Cream, etc.
TURKEY & BEANS CHILI LINKS
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Post on Instagram and Tag @WeEatWithJoe and use the Hashtag #WeEatWithJoe in your post.
Please let me know what you think by leaving a Comment in the Section Below.
And, if you really enjoyed it – Please SHARE with your friends using the Buttons below.
If you decide this Recipe is worthy of a SHARE, you are the best! THANK YOU!!!
SHARE THIS RECIPE